20 Practical write up

scottmilk9

I just wanted to post up a small write up of my opinion and observations of my 20 Practical.

The Specialized Dynamics .20 Practical
Back Story
Do you have hundreds or even thousands of 223 cases lying around? So do I. Many predator hunters start off their stable of rifles with a .223 remington. It is a very attractive starting caliber due to the vast availability of ammunition, and the low prices of that ammunition. So a lot of us cut our teeth by spending hours the range with the .223, and thus end up with a lot of brass. While the .223 is a great utility caliber, it has it’s shortcomings. For many, they look for a cartridge that is easier to shoot at longer ranges. In the AR platform, the .204 ruger jumps out to people with ballistics that closely mirror the .22-250. The problem is the expense of .204 ruger ammunition. Factory loads can cost over $1 per shot, so many look to handload. There is a large variety of .20 bullets on the market; the hang up with the .204 is brass. Factory brass is available, but it can be spendy. Some people will try to “make” their own brass by trying to reform a .223 casing, but that is not advisable as you can have bulging. The answer: the .20 Practical. The attractive thing about the .20 Practical is that it uses .223 brass, .223 S-type dies and you can get similar results as a .204 ruger.
Predator hunters demand a lot of different performance envelopes for a cartridge. It has to have speed, range, accuracy, while still having a lot of stopping power, and being easy on fur. This is a tall order. I have spent a lot of time researching and chambering AR’s in a variety of calibers. I’ve shot many coyotes with the .223, several more with other calibers, and have gotten a mixed bag of results. Several calibers have issues with range, others lack power, once you find a cartridge with enough power and range it tends to hammer the fur that some people want to harvest. Late last summer I ordered a 20 Practical reamer to see if this caliber was the “golden bb”.
20pi.jpg

The Test Platform
We chambered a 20” barrel, built it up on my LW (light weight) platform, consisting of a flat top upper receiver, Carbon fiber free float tube, picatinny rail gas block and a Young MFG bolt/carrier assembly. The lower was topped off with a Ace Socom stock (for length of pull), Ergo Deluxe grip and a Geissele 2 stage trigger.
I loaded some ammo with 32gr V-max bullets and 25gr of Ramshot Tac powder. I figured it was a decent starting load. I shot 4 shots to zero my scope and chrono’d the next 5 while shooting groups. I shot under ½” at 100yds and got an average of 3760fps. I figured since it grouped so well and got decent velocity, why bother with any further load development.
20practical.jpg

In the Field
I went out with some buddies in search for some fur. We hit the hills for some bobcat and fox; unfortunately we didn’t run into anything until our last stand of the day.
We called in a beautiful gray fox, I saw him coming from 300 yards away, had him in my scope the whole way, noticing his demeanor, stopping every so often to check the prey in distress sound. He got within 50 yards when I put the 32gr V-max into its quartering away side. Let’s just say that the V-max bullets aren’t very fur friendly. The expansion is violent. The fox went down hard, but the bullet did some serious damage. It was split right down the belly line and made easy skinning for Snowman Mo.
scottfox.jpg

I don’t think there is any question on the accuracy or knockdown power of this great little cartridge. With the right bullet, I think that it would be very easy to handload a fur friendly .20 Practical. We have seen a similar result in the .17 remington. Higher velocities result in more energy, but it has to be controlled if you want to save the fur. Polymer tipped bullets are not going to be the best choice for fur harvesting, but a standard hollowpoint, at these kind of high velocities is producing some solid results. Hard putdowns, small holes.
We have the results of the cartridge on foxes, so now our next challenge is to put down a bobcat and a coyote. If the .17 remington is any indicator of a small, fast moving caliber, then coyotes and bobcats should present no real trouble with the 20 Practical.

Summary
With the ease of reloading, availability of commercial brass and the use of standard AR-15 magazines, the .20 Practical is a great choice for all those who like the ballistics of the .204 ruger but want something easier and less expensive to reload. We might just be one step closer to the “golden bb”?

Welcome to the world of 20pr. Nice looking gun. I may have to try that load. I had the same results when working up the load for mine the only thing different is that it was my second group of 35gr bergers with benchmark.

So how long do I have to save up for one?

My can on the end of that I do have a high power BB gun.
smile.gif

Last edited:
The setup as is, is 8.5lbs with scope/rings and heavier Ace socom stock. Standard lightweight build is approx. 7lbs.

Lightweight(LW) model is $1424 for the complete gun and $824 for the upper

Originally Posted By: scottmilk9
20pi.jpg

that is a VERY nice looking weapon!!! although... I think I like the groups better yet!!!
nice work, great write up, & even better build!!!

Ive only tried a 20". But i wasn't pushing the envelope on velocity by no means. I bet you can get 3500-3700fps out of a 16" no problem. I think if you wanna reach the 4K mark, I would keep it at least 20 though.

I know there are guys out there that have had 20's longer than I have, so I hope they chime in.

I had a chance to handle this gun at the PM hunt and it is just as nice in person. Great build and solid performance... add another gun to my wishlist!

I would stay in the 20in range to keep the speed up. It is part of the appeal of the 20pr over the 223 for me. If I were to do it over I would not change anything on my woa 20pr upper.

I have one of Scott's Barrels in .204 cal 1-10" twist and it loves 40 grain Vmax. The 40 grain Vmax is an excellent varmint round, even if it is a little bit slower then the lighter pills. I'm getting 3700 fps out a 22" barrel with 40's.
0226121049.jpg

Still waiting for a reply on my email regarding available barrel twists and barrel weight. I'm obviously interested in being first in line.

My 20pr is a 20in 1-10twist barrel and it really shoots the 26gr barnes and the 35gr bergers well. When I ordered mine I was told to not really go under 20in and a 1-10 would handle most anything that I was wanting to shoot for pills.

i would agree with deaddogwalkin about the 20". Im doing the 1-10twist as well. It really liked the 32gr vmax, but the 40gr vmax shot well too. I just got some barnes varmint grenades in 26gr HP. Snowman Mo and I are gonna try to put some fur down this weekend with it as well.

Back